Today was a huge milestone for this little modern family - my IFs flew in to attend our official Gender Ultrasound! They were so excited and anxious to find out whether they were team pink or blue. I, on the other hand, was completely convinced that it was a girl and had been pretty much since conception. Just a feeling I had. I later found out that almost everyone they knew also thought it was going to be a girl. I'm sure you can see where this is going.
I picked them up from the airport and after a quick lunch, we headed to the hospital for the ultrasound. We looked at various ultrasound photos while we waited to be called back and I tossed out a few tips about what they could expect to see and how much the baby probably weighed (10 ounces!). It wasn't long before my name was called and I was situated on the table with warm goo on my belly.
The tech was super nice and directed most of her comments about the baby to the guys, which I loved. It's important to me that they are treated like the parents and not just two guys I'm giving my baby to. So that was refreshing.
After a few minutes she hovered over the money shot and asked if we wanted to know the sex. Being the ultrasound veteran I am, I knew instantly that we were looking at a hot dog, not a hamburger. She announced "It's a boy!" and our jaws all dropped in shock for a moment. That puts me at 0 for 4. I'm thinking I should probably just stop guessing because my instincts are obviously flawed, LOL.
After they got over the shock, the guys were thrilled and instantly started talking names, circumcision and raising a gentleman. Judging by how they turned out, I don't think they'll have any problem with that last one. ;)
I wish I had photos to share but the only copies we got went with the daddies so hopefully I'll get scans of them soon to post.
As for baby boy, he looked fantastic and was actually measuring a few days ahead of schedule so we have no worries of growth restriction so far. We counted all his fingers and toes and could see that he liked to burrow into his placenta. I can't wait to snuggle him on the outside!
After the ultrasound, we headed over to my OB's office so the guys could meet her. I love her and I knew they would too. They had several questions for her and I was really impressed with all her answers. I'm very laid back and low-intervention about pregnancy so it's comforting to have a doctor who feels the same way. If I can't have my midwives, an understanding and accepting OB is the next best thing. She was so sweet with them and is so excited to be a part of our journey. I love it!
Next was a tour of the hospital. I was once again blown away by the amount of respect shown by the staff. They were so accommodating to our situation and I'm happy to say that all of the concerns we had about the hospital stay were relieved. The guys will get their own room to room in with the baby after the birth and there will be no issues with visitation or who is "allowed" to be at the birth. We left feeling complete relief and confidence and excitement for the coming months.
The day flew by way too fast, as our visits always do and before long it was time to get them back to the airport. Our area was under a severe winter storm warning but the rain/sleet had just started falling so we were hopeful that their flight would take off without a hitch. Unfortunately, I learned the next morning that all flights had been canceled and my poor IFs rented a car and drove the 15 hours home through the night. I felt so bad for them! Their first comment to me upon arriving home was, "We are SO flying home in July." Ha! Glad they came to that realization early. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment