Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A First

So, obviously, when people find out I'm a surrogate I get LOTS of questions. It can be annoying. Because usually it's the same crap over and over: "WHOA, I could never do that. You're crazy! I bet you make a lot of money! Is it rude for me to ask how much?" (Yep, sure is, Einstein.)

It happens so often that I have pretty much stopped mentioning that the baby isn't mine when I am asked about the pregnancy by strangers out in public. I make up answers if needed and they're none the wiser. Every now and then DH and I will have a chuckle over telling people the baby isn't his and walking away as they stand there confused. Probably not the most mature thing to do, but it's funny as hell.

Aaaanyway. To my point. (I do have one!) Once in awhile I encounter someone who actually has two brain cells to rub together and can make intelligent conversation with me about surrogacy instead of popping off with a rude knee-jerk reaction. I love it when that happens. It happened two nights ago, at the oddest of places: a car dealership. By a - are you ready for this? MAN.

I'm acting so shocked because men almost never comment on my surrogacy and if they do, it's usually a confused, "Oh, that's cool" and a quick change of subject. Not this guy. We were in the midst of negotiating a deal on a new car (Toyota Sienna, holla!) and I *think* he was the one who handles the offers. He was in a suit and had an office and all that spiffy stuff.

So anyway, he came out of his office, told us congrats on the new car and then said, "Hey, I saw you have some bumper stickers on the old car, something about being a surrogate? I've never met anyone who has done that before." I told him yes, I sure am, and now he can say he has. I figured that would be the end of the conversation, but nope. He continued on with more questions. How did I get involved in all this? Do I have children? Is it my first time doing it? How did I meet my IPs? How often do I talk to them? Do they come to appointments? I answered all his questions and we talked for a good ten minutes or so.

Not once did he mention money, or how crazy I am, or how it must be hard to give the baby up, or any of the other ill-thought-out comments I get all.the.time. He was super respectful and told me how cool he thought it was, and that he and his wife are expecting their second in June. I'm thinking his wife is a pretty lucky woman to be married to such an intelligent and considerate man. It seriously made my day.

So thank you, random man at car dealership. I wish more people were like you!

8 comments:

  1. Love this! I am excited that #1 You are Getting a Van and #2 The awesome guy you met. With an attitude like that maybe his wife will join our ranks at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (new follower here)--just wanted to say that's pretty cool that someone was so interested-how refreshing, huh? Especially since it was a man! :) PS-if/when I get pg as a surro, I'm totally going to mess with strangers about it not being my husbands! too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I want to high five him for actually being able to string together logical thoughts about the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree with people not having a brain. Husband and I are always messing with people. I just don't get it. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean I can't... ERRR. But very funny by saying it and walking away. Maybe immature but sure it funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great you mess with people, I mean really if they can't put together an intelligent response, they deserve it!

    Very cool that you met a man that was awesome about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People do get it sometimes. I can't believe I asked you how much you were making...Sorry about that. I absolutely am your biggest fan. I think you got it right this lifetime. Love the blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, don't even worry about it! It doesn't bother me when friends ask. It's just the complete strangers that don't even think before asking that get on my nerves. Friends get a free pass to ask pretty much whatever they want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank gawd I didn't ask anything weird.... sure, I am intrigued--that brings up questions... but - I much prefer to avoid offending anyone than to actually ask... I think what you are doing is great! If my first pregnancy went as I planned, I could see surrogacy in my future.. but I am not sure that I am built for it... and of course, honestly, I would probably be shunned from my church--but to be able to bring a great gift into this world for a couple so wanting to nurture-- well, shun me. I support you and I am so happy to get to follow your journey!! Cheers to you, your family and your surro family, too!!!

    ReplyDelete