Thursday, May 19, 2011

34 weeks!

Well, almost - I'm 33 weeks and 5 days today. Wow. I stopped being naive and being one of those women who thinks, "I could have a baby in 2 weeks and 2 days!" as if 36 weeks is the magical date my babies are ready - because mine never are. I fully expect another 8 weeks of being pregnant. But still, how the time has flown.

I had an OB appointment today, which for me is never more than a blip on the radar since I have The Most Boring Pregnancies Ever. That's totally a good thing though when it comes to pregnancy, and it's precisely why my guys picked me - I guarantee stress-free and uneventful!

Everything looked perfect still today. Blood pressure was excellent (doctor wanted to know my secret, said mine is better than hers!) no trace of anything in my urine, weight gain fine. My belly is measuring 35 weeks and I have given up the idea of ever birthing a teensy 6-pound baby. Apparently I only bake 8 and 9-pounders. We also confirmed that he is head down, finally flipped from being breech at the 28-week ultrasound, and the body part that has been firmly planted in my ribs is his bony hiney.

Really the only complaint I've had thus far is some swelling and numbness in my hands at night, but since blood pressure is fine that's been chalked up to general pregnancy side-effects. I have clearance to travel to Wisconsin next week, and when we get back from that trip I'll be closing in on 36 weeks. Next appointment is at 37 weeks (thank you, rockstar doctor, for being awesome and not insisting I come see you every week for no reason!) And after that, I guess we begin The Countdown.

I have mixed thoughts about nearing the end of this journey. On one hand, I'm excited to get my normal body back (and so is the husband, he confessed to me last night). I made a commitment to run a half-marathon next spring so I need to begin training as soon as I can after the baby is born, and I'm excited for that. But on the other hand, it makes me sad to think about it being over. I have been working toward a goal of making these guys a family for over a year and now that I'm finally almost there, I think I'll feel a little lost once it's all over. Kind of a "what now?" feeling. I hear from other surrogates that this is normal and I'm hoping the great relationship I have with the guys will help since I expect to receive lots of pictures and updates. Only time will tell I suppose.

A couple photos, the first is from 32 weeks and the second is a few days ago. I feel like you can see a definite difference in shape, so maybe he flipped sometime between the two?



5 comments:

  1. You look awesome....and sounds just like my appts. Boring..which is good!! LOL We are 1 week apart so excited to see who delivers first..hoping you because I don't want him to come out before July 1!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm guessing you'll be first since you have it scheduled, I'm not due til July 2nd and I have never had a baby before my due date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whomp, you are gorgeous and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pics! Looking forward to the birth update;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking beautiful. Nice to see you and catch up at the salon last night!! I am keeping my fingers crossed that you won't deliver before your due date--really want the guys to be here.
    Cheers, woman!! Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete